Friday, November 6, 2009

Tonga: Hunger Strike To Oust PM - Continues

From Radio New Zealand International:
A daylight hour protest fast involving about 800 women in Tonga is continuing.

Tongan Women’s National Congress members have been fasting for about three weeks between six am and six pm to protest against what they describe as poor governance of the prime minister, Feleti Sevele, and to call for his and his deputy’s resignation or removal.

However, the Congress head, Mele Amanaki, says she has ended her hunger strike and is now also fasting only during daylight hours.

“I believe it’s the Lord speaking to me telling me to eat. So I broke the fast on Monday evening at 6 o’clock after 21 days, but I still continue fasting daily from six o’clock in the morning to six o’clock in the afternoon.”

Mele Amanaki says they won’t give up until they reach their goal.

No comments: