Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Mayte Almeida

Article by Sivan Fraser from the Miami Herald:
In the male-dominated world of aviation mechanics, Mayte Almeida can put many of her co-workers to shame.

''She was the toughest one out of them all,'' said her boss Joel Valle, who owns J.V. Air Maintenance. When the guys slack off, Valle uses Almeida as a motivator, telling them ``If you can't do it, I'll get Mayte. . . . She'll do it for you.''

Almeida, 32, has been an aircraft technician, specifically an Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) Mechanic and Avionics Technician, for five years. She is currently a lead technician on Valle's team.

''Being a female in aviation is not a big deal because, from my perspective, I am simply a person, a human being not defined by gender,'' she says. ``The only limitations I have, I put on myself. We make our own limitations.''

2 comments:

Sivan Fraser said...

Hi! Thanks for posting my article on Mayte! I would appreciate if you would give me, Sivan Fraser, credit for it! Thank you so much again :)

My name can be found on the link to the actual article here: http://www.miamiherald.com/business/business-monday/job-file/story/1063321.html

Take care,
Sivan

Melisende said...

Sivan,

Gladly done!