Thursday, July 1, 2010

WHO: Limit on Caesarean

From BBC News:
The World Health Organization has dropped its recommendation that fewer births be carried out by Caesarean section, saying there was no evidence for a limit.

The WHO had previously advised that no more than 10 to 15% of babies be delivered by section, a figure often cited by those concerned about rates in the UK - where one in four babies comes into the world in this way.

But now the WHO states that "there is no empirical evidence for an optimum percentage" and stresses that "what matters most is that all women who need Caesarean sections receive them".

1 comment:

LadyNoor said...

Hospitals and obstetricians are getting scared of natural births. I had an "elective" C/S with my first baby and I believe it was because misleading advice by my former OB. Second time around I found a lovely independent midwife as my primary carer and I gave birth to my son naturally. And when it's a VBAC it sucks because you have to "obey" certain hospital policies, despite of this it was a beautiful VBAC.

I know it's a matter of choice by the birthing woman, but I believe women don't always get the information needed to make informed decision.